Wednesday, November 23, 2011

If You Don't Know, Now You Know...

Growing up, I always used to feel like I could rightfully call myself an artist's "biggest fan" when I not only knew their music, but also little tidbits about their personal lives. It may sound shallow, but I used to feel extra special sharing rare trivia with friends that were fellow fans. Okay, so times may have changed and thanks to the internet and reality TV, even the biggest stars tend to share details of their lives to the point of over-saturation.  Nevertheless, I still thought it'd be fun to gather a little somethin' somethin' from some of Pinoy Hip hop's most-loved MCs and Producers*.

It's fun to be able to take a trip down memory lane with people you admire - being able to discover what makes them tick, what they were about before they did music or perhaps what they currently do aside from music. I suppose it can help a listener understand why they follow these personalities on a deeper level.

---------------------------------

Read on to learn quirky things about these top cats:

Type Slickk of Mastaplann

Type Slickk - Mr. Resourceful
In all the years that I've been involved in music (20+ years), I've never owned a Technics 1200 turntable. Even though I started off DJing, I could never afford a 1200 back in the day. I'm pretty resourceful though, so I was able to make do with whatever cheap turntable I had at the time; I was even using my little sister's Fisher-Price knock-off turntable to scratch and I made it work. Granted, the only battles I had were against the belt-drives. Funny thing, right before we went back home in 1990 to start on the whole Mastaplann journey, I was about to buy a used 1200 from a friend, but we left and my brothers ended up buying it. Now, they're world-class DJs with the group Handroidz...everything happens for a reason right? Throughout the years, someone I knew always had a 1200 so I never felt the need to actually buy my own. Anyway, right now, I have a "vintage" SL-1400 with knob-style pitch controls and the speed seems to fluctuate whenever it feels like it. But again, I make it work. I think I got it from my brother. I'm pretty sure I'll get a 1200 one of these days. I'll let you know when I do (laughs).

JedLi of People's Future

JedLi aka Mr. E - Church!
I used to sing in the church choir back in the day and that was one of the first things that influenced me to make beats. 

Gloc9

Gloc9 aka GOLEM
My nickname nung bata pa ako ay Golem. Not sure why, binansag lang sakin ng Uncle ko (laughs).


Ruby Ibarra - Eclectic Ear!











Ruby Ibarra

One things that people may not know about me is that I have a very eclectic taste in music. My "gritty" raps truthfully don't reflect my taste in music as a listener since I like to bump anything from Wu Tang Clan to Backstreet Boys to Nicki Minaj to Phil Collins!









Switch of The Mighty Miscellaneous

I am Filipino-Japanese and my Oba-san (grandmother) made me watch the classic 1988 animated fantasy film, Tonari No Totoro everyday. It's my favorite cartoon movie of all time.

To know more about Switch's favorite cartoon flick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro

Switch - Anime Fanatic!
Chrizo


What people may not know, is that in the early to mid-90s, I was part of a [grunge] garage rock band called The Ill Advised where I actually played a little bit of everything.

Chrizo - Rock On!
Knowa Lazarus of Q-York

Knowa Lazarus - Won the battle vs. Asthma
I was born with Severe Asthma and was told by doctors I'd never be able to play sports or be an athlete.  I'd play basketball and run everyday, coughing up from my lungs with my inhaler. My lungs eventually got strong enough and I overcame my illness after a few years of persistence. Yuoy!

Aero.
Aero. - Cookin' something up

I enjoy cooking and I plan to take up Culinary Arts - MC also means Master Chef!









Rjay of LDP


I never stop writing songs!  
 
Rjay aka The Deranged Poet - Lyrics 24/7
                                                                                                                     
ILL-J
ILL-J - Started with "The Man in The Mirror"

I'm a frustrated Rn'B singer, but I can dance just like Michael Jackson (laughs)!

-----------------------------------

*There will definitely be a continuation with other amazing hip hop stars when more answers come in...

No comments:

Post a Comment